- First Time Buyers
- Buyer Checklist
- Choosing an Agent
- The Down Payment
- What Can I Afford?
- Mistakes To Avoid
- Short Sales
- Home Inspections
- Moving Decisions
- Community Toolkit
Share This Page
The act of moving can be extremely stressful but with a little planning, a bit of due diligence and some organization, you will feel in control and enjoy a successful move. So, enjoy this new chapter in your life. Our goal is to help you be prepared, avoid frustration, and save time and money during your move. If you follow these moving tips it should make your relocation an enjoyable one.
Questions you need to ask yourself before deciding if you can handle the work yourself or if hiring a professional makes more sense.
- Do you have enough physical strength and stamina?
- How many people do you have helping out? Are any of them stronger than you?
- Can you carry everything through doorways and up any stairs…..without damaging it?
- Does your homeowner's policy cover potential loss in case of an accident during your move?
- Can you get the required time off of work to actually complete the move on schedule?
Have a Plan before You Pack
Remember packing is a skill: (1) Placing the right items in each box so they arrive undamaged. (2) Creating an inventory enabling you to easily find all of your items after arriving in your new home.
- Packing items weighing more in smaller, heavy–duty boxes.
- Try to combine items that go together in the same boxes.
- Enlist the Color-Coding System- Decide upon a color for each room and label that room's boxes accordingly. Then label the door of each room with the corresponding color (tape/stickers) and that way everyone knows exactly where everything goes.
Place all important documentation in a separate box that is clearly marked and make sure it is left in a designated spot throughout the move so you can find it when needed.
- Health records
- Diplomas and school records
- Pay Stubs
- Lender Documentation
- Bank statements
- Tax returns
The #1 way to save money moving is to sell stuff you don't need, especially large items, this will permit you to make an easier, cheaper move, and will also put some extra cash pack in your pocket.
Please see our Moving Checklist to help you stay organized during your move.